RSS

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Portrait of Isabella d'Este based on the sketch by Leonardo da Vinci

"Isabella d'Este" © 2014 by Hikaru Hirata-Miyakawa
"Isabella d'Este" (Homage to Leonardo da Vinci)
Acrylic on canvas
© 2014 by Hikaru Hirata-Miyakawa

Here is my rendition of the portrait of Isabella d'Este based on the sketch supposedly made by Leonardo da Vinci. 
drawing by Leonardo da Vinci
citation: Wikipedia

Although some authorities claim that they have recently discovered the completed authentic Leonardo piece of  the said portrait of Isabella, I disagree with such claim. 
I am ultra conservative when it comes to the authentication of the works especially by Leonardo. 
There seem to be a sort of an inflation of such attribution these days. 
To me the final portrait has never been done by Leonardo, and since Isabella had repeatedly asked Leonardo to do her portrait, I did it in my style instead basing the composition on the drawing "done" by Leonardo.  This painting of mine has nothing to do with trying to complete the painting in Leonardo's manner. 

The painting of mine shown at the top is currently being displayed at eTown Hall in Boulder, Colorado.
It is part of my solo art exhibition (from November 16th, 2014 through January 31st, 2015).