RSS

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

"Hello, my name is Hikaru, and it is wonderful to meet you, Maestro Leonardo"

I wish I could meet him as who I am. If such wish could be granted, then, what should I say to him? ...a simple, "Hello, my name is Hikaru, and it is wonderful to meet you...." ?
At any rate, the encounter did happen, only that it was not in person...
It was in 1972, when I was still 10 years old.  My teacher( who happened to be my mother) allowed me to watch the TV program to do with Leonardo da Vinci. It was originally filmed in Italy but dubbed in Japanese. For the next few days, I was glued to the TV. The light within me was ignited. I as inspired by this man of many talent, to say the least. This "event" has set the life direction. Since this fatal encounter, Leonardo has become my mentor and the master. I remember copying the Renaissance paintings one after another... some as the pencil drawings, and others as the water color painting. The painting below is my water color rendition of "the Last Supper" by Leonardo from 1973. It is unfinished.  One of my dream was to paint the copy of Leonardo's "the Last Supper" as a mural. I had to wait until 1995 for that dream to come true, but that story will be dealt in the future. It has been the life long pursuit to know about Leonardo, and now I am writing a book about Leonardo da Vinci from the point of view of an artist who has "followed" him.  More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment