RSS

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The true meaning of the word, "amateur"

I have been doing art and music, etc., for over 44 years since I was 4 years old.
My creative life began with the strict guidance of my first teacher, my multi-skilled mother.
And yet, my  so called, "training," was rather serious one from the day one... creating like a soldier, doing the drill, the high discipline, the punishment and the rewards ... quite an ordeal.
I also have identified myself with the art-in-itself to the point of suffocating myself with the notion of the perfect art form and the expression... and to fully master the mediums.
as a matter of fact, I have, from time to time, hit the "bottom," although I have kept up with the discipline to produce things. ...trying to keep the professionalism, sort of.

In January of the year 2000,  it finally took the toll, and I was permeated with the feeling of dryness and the numbness as if the creative juice within my was suck dried and had withered!
One of my good friends gave me the "Artist's Way" by Julia Cameron, the writer of the original TV series, the "Miami Vice." ( I have also done the various exercises given by her in the subsequent publications of hers.)

...but as I was regaining the creative fountain within, I came across in her book, "Walk in This World," an important message of being a creative person.
It had to do with the word, "amateur." Julia says on page 85: "We cannot 'improve' ourselves into great artists by doing creative sit-ups. Great artists are actually the great amateurs - from the Latin verb, amare, 'to love.'" (It is also based on the Latin word, "amator.")
That was enlightening, for 1) I love the etymological studies of the words, and 2) I have struggled so hard to separate myself from the people whom I have considered the "amateurs," forgetting the true message underneath the word.
As professionals, we often need to finish many projects, many times in our lives. ...following through is important.
Yet, if it lacks the playful, child-like creativity of what Picasso had reminded us by saying, "We are all born children. The trick is how to remain one" ..., then we may lose the LOVE of creating. It becomes the chore.

It is wonderful when we create because we love to create...and that may be the message of the Divine Creation.  No wonder we are reminded by Yeshwa/Jesus to be like the children n order to enter the kingdom of Heaven - filled with LOVE an Creativity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment