RSS

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Why bother with accepting art commissions?

I have to admit that I must have inherited some of the attitude of the Renaissance artists.  I not only love to take painting / mural commissions but happy with changing my style to suit clients' needs. I remember from my art history teaching days that nothing was too small to accept as the commission / project for the artists of Renaissance. They also did something other than art (i.e. growing the olive trees) to earn the living when there were not enough commissions. 
To me, having the skill means that such person has the responsibility. It is the responsibility of the one who attained the skill to not only master it but to use it to help others in need. 
Of course, the personal expression through your style and ideas are very important, but to me, accepting each commission with gratitude is also important even if and when you have to change your style. You are helping others by manifesting their inner visions onto the tangible form. I have seen the smile and the eyes filled with joy of so many clients,  and I have to say that it is worth it! After all, it is the team work and the joint effort between the client and the artist that enable them to create something unique and meaningful.

No comments:

Post a Comment